Thursday, December 1, 2011

All I Want for Christmas is You

Today somebody posted the Justin Bieber version of this song on Facebook, and I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. Not because I have anything against Justin Bieber - I mean he sucks, but millions of prepubescent girls seem to think he's great and I'm not going to argue with them. But "All I Want for Christmas is You" is just a sacred thing that shouldn't be fucked with. It was a big part of anyone's Christmas if they grew up in the 90's and is just an all-around good time. I mean come on, that opening piano bit? Great. It also reminds me of a time when Mariah Carey was a smokin' hot babe frolicking through fields of flowers in daisy dukes and not your weird aunt who tries too hard to still look sexy.

UPDATE: I finally did attempt to watch the Bieber/Carey version and had to stop before they even started singing because I was fucking horrified. It's basically Bieber and pals popping boners at Mariah while she skanks it up in a slutty Christmas outfit. Creepy and awful.

Another reason this song resonates with me is because just about every Christmas, without fail, I am recently single. And when this song comes on, it makes me think of whoever finally got fed up with my shit and hit the road the month before. But you know what? I don't get sad. Sure, it would be nice to have that "special someone" at Christmas, and the lyrics are all about how none of the other stuff matters without one, but the awesomeness of the song itself is enough to keep me from my usual ex-related spiral of despair. And that, my friends, is a true Christmas miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment